Sunday, January 10, 2010

the train

Took the train out to Albany yesterday. Why haven't I taken the train before?? What a great way to travel. No having to be there 3 hours in advance. None of the anxiety of airplane travel. The seats were nice and big and the scenery was beautiful. Plus lots of time to think, reflect, contemplate etc. Wish I had a laptop. I could have done so much more!!

It is wonderful to spend time with my daughters. But a little sad as well. We have always been the house where our kids and their friends have come to spend time. So I have always felt part of the inner circle of their lives. But being here, in my daughters house, with her friends....I felt like an outsider. Not that I was treated like that. I was welcomed with open arms by her and all of her friends. But there were all of these inside jokes going around. Talk about upcoming plans and past experiences. And I wasn't privy to any of it. It is very strange. And as I said to the girls as we talked about it this morning, it isn't a bad thing. It is really what most people experience much earlier with their kids. So I should be grateful for the extra time that I had it.

I guess it just adds to the weirdness that is my life right now. And after years of saying how much I was looking forward to the kids being gone and having the house to myself, I guess I realize now that although I will enjoy parts of it. I will miss, terribly, other parts. Boy, you are never too old to learn a lesson, are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment