Friday, January 15, 2010

Back in pain

I woke up this morning and had a little twinge in my back. By the time I got to work, it was getting worse and within an hour of being there I couldn't breathe without being in pain. Every inhale, any odd movement, even just trying to sit still brought spasms of pain. After taking a mega naproxin and using an ice pack for a little while, it improved. But even as I sit here writing, I am still feeling little spasms. Sort of like a little nudge saying, "don't get too comfortable, I'm just a reach away from taking you out for the weekend!". It is exhausting, having back pain. You spend so much time trying to maintain a pain free position and it seems like the only way to do that is to tense up the rest of your body. It kind of makes you sick to your stomach. Not fun. And it has only lasted a few hours. My mother had years and years of back pain. How was she able to go on every day and not kill someone?

I got called into the inlaw's apartment an hour ago. My husband was having a conversation with his mother. My FIL was in the bathroom taking a shower. When asked who the man in the bathroom was, my MIL said she didn't know. When asked what about when he gets into bed with you? Do you know who he is then? She responded, no she didn't but she wished someone would tell her. I told her that it was her husband. Her reaction was interesting. She wasn't angry, she wasn't happy. She wasn't particularly sad. She pretty much took it at face value that we had told her the truth, although she didn't quite know what to do with the information. Needless to say, it is upsetting to my FIL. Although, atleast tonight, he was handling it pretty well. I wonder what is going through her mind when he climbs into bed with her every night. How sad he must be that his wife of 61 years, seemingly doesn't know who he is.

On another note, my girls are coming home tomorrow. It will be great seeing them. Ein is coming home, too. I have missed him not being here for 3 weeks. The house is so quiet. Of course, I haven't had to vacuum up a bunch of dog hair either. Just goes to show you, there is good and bad to everything.

1 comment: